Let’s imagine for a second that you are 30 years old, single, work in a low-paid company and live with your parents. Meanwhile, your friends are happy in a marriage, have kids, big house and hold prestigious position with an annual income of $100,000. Every day you compare your life with theirs, and it seems to you that something is just wrong with you. You fall into depression known as Torschlusspanik (German, no English equivalent). The term is used in German in order to describe the fear, usually when one gets older, that time is running out and important opportunities are slipping away. Literally it is translated into English as “fear of the gate closing.”
And it seems that there is no way out from this failure. Depression crawls into your all body cells and here you are: Torschlusspanik has beaten you! But do you want to lose this game when the way out is always there. You just need to find determination to make several steps:
- Don’t look at what people do around you, every person has his/her own unique life path. So, don’t be jealous of them, you haven’t been in their shoes.
- Quit your job! Of course, make sure you first find a new job before you quit. No matter how uncomfortable you can feel, you must change whatever doesn’t make you happy.
- Educate yourself, read or maybe apply to college to get a higher degree! Education is always an investment into your future. Not only you get more knowledge and skills, but also meet new interesting people. Who knows, maybe your second-half will be among these new people too.
- Go to gym! Physical activity is believed to be one of the most successful methods to beat depression! In addition, exercises help you always look awesome!
- Go out more often!
- Listen to positive music, watch positive films, read positive articles about people who inspire. Learn from people who have already reached success!
And here you are several months later after following all these steps. Is the game over for Torschlusspanik? I think the answer is just one: YES.
Featured image credit: Russavia